Sunday, May 8, 2016

Season of the Locust

Well, since it is the rainy season here in Western Uganda it means cooler weather and locusts.  The locals call them Senelle.  I am not sure of the spelling of this but they are highly sought after. As I speak the Novices here at the Kakoba Novitiate are busy catching locusts and preparing them for tonight's supper.  The work is easy since they are everywhere.  I have taken two pictures as they are being prepared. They are placed in an oven to kill them and then the legs and wings are removed. Later they will be fried to a golden brown. They will be dessert tonight!  I have tried them once. The taste was ok but I had a very hard time with what was caught in and between my teeth.  I did not know what part of the bug caught but I did want to rush to floss my teeth.  So what do they taste like? I can't describe it, definitely not like chicken.

At night, you can see these bright lights piercing the night sky. People set up these lights to attract the locusts in great numbers.  They place large sheets of shiny corrugated aluminum into barrel drums and these barrels are placed into an oval shape. Somehow the locusts attracted by the lights fly into the aluminum and then fall into the barrels. These lights burn all night.

Gifts came in all sizes and shapes. Some time gifts fly from the sky and land on your plate for supper. Enjoy what lands on your 'plate' today. God is gifting you. Don't let the gift get caught in your teeth. Peace
Right from the wood fired oven.
Novice Henry removing the unnecessary appendages

4 comments:

  1. Need a good address to mail extra floss. Like to try BUT I'll wait until my visit, maybe. Prayers and love always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great tips. I found many interesting things from this site. It helps me in many ways.Thanks! Keep Sharing !! Netflix Gift Card

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed reading the article above, really explains everything in detail,the article is very interesting and effective. Thank you and good luck for the upcoming articles. Find here a link to How Can I Sell A Car With Mechanical Problems?

    ReplyDelete