Thursday, October 27, 2016

Imagine, ladling up a portion of soup and seeing the above greet you.  Not just one, but many! That was my experience two weeks ago when I was visiting the Postulants in Mwanza, Tanzania. Mwanza is a city of about 700,000 people on the shores of Lake Victoria. So these fish are plentiful. They are called Doga (accent on the final syllable).  The taste is fish, plainly put, and they are a bit chewy. They are a  main source of protein for the men in formation there so they are eaten three times a week.  They are small in size and the eyes are a brilliant silver when cooked.  When the postulants asked me how I liked the fish I said, "The taste is good but  I am not use to having my food look back at me." Luckily they understood me and laughed. Here is what they look like when they are dried.
 You might wonder if these have been gutted. I didn't ask and I don't want to know.  Its all a gift.

1 comment: