Sunday, August 30, 2015

A Season of Lasts
I have been keenly aware of a particular emotion as I prepare to leave for Belgium and Africa beyond. I have encountered feelings of loss and the recognition that this will be last time I shop at this grocery store, watch this television show, see this dear friend, or worship in this church. As I am moving on so will these people and places move on. When I return all will be changed. I will be changed. I have concentrated on say goodbye well. Not something I was good at in the past. Part of saying goodbye, for me, was to realize the moment. I grasp the reality of what I am about to do and the impact it will have on me and those around me. In our last moments together, a very good friend asked me, “What haven't we said to each other?” Great question. I paused, not wanting to “get into it all” and more than ready just to let the moment pass. I did take the time to air some final worries and concerns that were not really problems but more manifestations of my anxiety. It was good to talk about them and gain some very needed perspective. I realize now that I maybe saying goodbye to a person but not to the friendship. That will endure.


Here's the good news. The Season of Lasts will quickly be followed by the Season of Firsts. This fills me with joy and excitement and anticipation. So please continue to follow my travels and experiences as I experience new people, customs, places, food, languages, ideas, challenges, defeats, and successes. I hope to show through all of this that whether the experience is my last experience or my first, it is all gift!















1 comment:

  1. Hello, Tim!
    I trust that you arrived safely in Belgium. While everything is scary and new I envy your sense of purpose and adventure. You may not know exactly what to expect but you know that you are fulfilling a plan that God has laid out for you. Moving forward takes guts and determination. I admire you. Know that we are keeping you in our prayers.

    God Bless!

    Marie

    ReplyDelete