Friday, December 18, 2015

Subukia

I arrived here from Nairobi on Wednesday by car.  Sabukia is just under 200 km north from Nairobi. Several firsts occurred on the way.  I had my first sighting of a zebra in the wild, first sighting of a baboon (they are bid don't mess with them), The first time I saw the grandeur of the Rift Valley and finally the first time I crossed the equator. A lot for an old man in one day!  Sabukia is a rural village in the Rift Valley so there are mountains and hills all around. I was told that I would experience what real life in Kenya is all about.  So far so good.  The friary is comfortable despite the frequent power losses. (The friary has only had electricity for the past year.) The house is backed up by solar power so essentials are still available.  I will be here through Christmas.  Here are some photos I took of the place.
This is the friary chapel. The hut-like design is very typical.
This is the friary. The picture is a bit fuzzy due to all the rain we have been having.  I am assured that the dry season is coming soon. My guess its a combination of global warming (blame everything on global warming) and El Nino.
This is a picture of a landscape feature that can be seen around the friary.  I was curious about what they were called. Obviously they are cacti. So I went on line (not always easy to do here) and discovered they are called poisonous cactus trees. Much to everyone's surprise.  The sap of the cactus can blind a person or cause caustic like burns on the skin. Nice to be seen from a distance.
Peace from the Rift Valley.  OED


2 comments:

  1. Love all your pictures. Need to see more. Glad all is going well. I want to wish you the Merries of Christmas. We all love you and miss you. God bless you Tim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you and Ken. Give a hug to Bri, Mike and the kids. All my love. tim

      Delete