Friday, February 19, 2016

Update

Well, I am sorry that it has taken so long for me to write but I have been busy and things in Uganda have also been busy as well.  The national election was yesterday. There was some tension but all went smoothly and all reports are that the election was fair.  with 17% of the vote counted the incumbent, President Museveni is in a comfortable lead with 59% of the vote. the closest opponent Kizza Besigyi with 31%.  Besigyi was placed in jail yesterday, no reason given.  The streets are quiet and all is well for now.

For me, I finished teaching a course for the staff at St. Francis Counsellor Training Institute last week. The title of the course was. Cognitive Behavioral Treatment of Substance Abuse through the lens of Integral Theory.  It went well.  I drew upon my experience of my work at Illinois State prison.  I interviewed one of my students named Christo.  He is from the Gulu region in northern Uganda. That part of the country is recovering from 20 years of rebel action.  Christo is working towards a Bachelor degree in counseling.  He tells of the rampant alcoholism in the area and reports an alcoholism rate of 90%. Mostly in reaction to past trauma. The common first age of intoxication is age 10. Many of his grade school friends were abducted by rebels and forced into armed service as small boys.  They have now returned and their clans have rejected them so they live a life of crime and alcoholism. His aim is to be of aim to his tribe.

I tried to post the video here but it is too long. So I need an video editing program which takes time. On top of that I ran out of time on my wireless modem (internet connection) and had to wait until after the election to go to town.  So I am back on track and will post the video as soon as I can. Thanks for your patience.  Peace  ODE

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Tim: your are in the right place at the right time. I know, I know, it's God's plan. Will you be teaching this course again, will you be teaching other subjects? How are the weather conditions? Is it still hot and dry? Do you have access to air conditioning? Etc etc. are you able to master there language? All my love. Bette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tim: It is good to see how you are doing. I saw that Cafod has made Uganda a focus, with so many needing to travel long distances for safe drinking water. Our national elections in Jamaica are tomorrow. I wish you Peace and Good, Tom

    ReplyDelete