Saturday, September 17, 2016

EEEEEK! They drive on the left here.

Well I did it! I have driven a car in Kenya and survived to tell the tale.  I must confess, I do not have my Kenya license yet but necessity required to drive.  The Guardian at St Anthony friary fell wrong and broke his knee. So I have had to drive him to and from his doctor visits. I have been paying attention in the past few months and I was able to adjust quiet well. My only problem is using the turn signal. Here the turn signal is on the right of the steering column. So for the first few times I drove I kept turning on the windshield wipers.  The other problem, which I must pay close attention to is the speed bumps.  Instead of stop signs or other signals speed bumps are used before and after every major intersection.  Which is okay, really because sometimes you are warned about the bumps with a sign, a black and white pole or the bumps themselves are painted black and white (what they call a zebra crossing).  Sometimes  however the bumps are not marked at all. So I am very cautious. Getting my Kenya license is next on my program just before learning Swahili.
This is the remains of one of our cars. Two young Deacons Peter and George were driving and failed to negotiate a turn and this is the result.  It was about supper time when we got the call that there had been an accident. One of the friars involved and was in shock and since he could not see the other friar assumed he was dead.  Thanks to our good and loving God the night of this accident was a  night of miracles.  The two friars in this car were not seriously hurt. The driver spent two nights in the hospital with chest pains and some minor internal bleeding. The other went home that night.  There was something more than air bags and seat belts that saved these two young friars.  The driver of the other car spent one night in the hospital for observation and was sent home.  Another miracle involved passing taxi driver who took charge of both friars, drove them to the hospital and stayed with them until we arrived.  He even let a fare go in order to do this.  A good man by the name of Wicliffe.  The miracles continue with awareness and thankfulness and all the positive fraternal response of the friars. The American in me believes that if they were driving on the right as is right and proper this might not have happened but the rest of me believes that  All is Gift.  tim

2 comments:

  1. I have been wondering how you have been negotiating all the many changes. Yes, everyone saw the true mercy of God at work. For everyone, please stay safe. God's continued mercy for all! Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drive safely, Tim. Hope the deacons are OK.

    ReplyDelete