Monday, September 5, 2016

Pushing a Pig

A lot of work resulting in nothing

I have been reading a really good book on Conflict by Jonan Fernandez who was instrumental in bring the conflict in the Basque region of Spain to an constructive conclusion.  The book is called, "Being, Human in Conflicts" (The comma there is important.)  The above picture is on the cover of the book. Briefly, the books puts forth some sound and constructive ways to look at conflict whether it be a relational, familiar, local, national or international conflict.  

Why I present this picture here is after 6+ years in formation work for the friars I find sometimes the picture depicts a perfect metaphor for formation.  Forming young friars is sometimes like pushing a pig.  Futile at times but I must say always rewarding.  I have learned that if I am facing the wrong end of the pig I need to re-evaluate my approach.  I guess many times the problem is not with the pig. It is with me.  I recently began working as the Master of Students in the House of Theology for the province of St Francis in Africa, Madagascar and Mauritius (phew! that is always a long title to type).  I am making a lot of changes to the program.  I adopted this strategy.  Ask for a lot, say it is a suggestion, dialogue and then settle for less than I asked for, which is what I wanted in the first place.  It worked. I am implementing what I feel are program enhancements while the young friars believe they had a hand in the decision.  I could have pushed the pig and gotten no where instead I addressed the beast as the intelligent animal it is. (Did you know that animal behaviorist say that pigs are smarter than dogs?)   

Some may take exception to me referring to the young friars as pigs.  I know. But really when I am pushing the pig I acknowledge that I am the pig in actuality, pig headed that is.  It is all projection really. Me projecting the negative side of myself on to those with whom I have difficulty. Awareness like this is a real gift.  If others are not the problem then it is me? More than likely it is.

Today is September 5, 2016, Labor Day in the US. I miss the cookouts, the Brats, burgers and burnt chicken.  Labor Day in Kenya in May 1. I wonder how it is celebrated? Stay tuned and find out.  ODE   tim



6 comments:

  1. มาเด้ เป็นยังไง? เป็นส่วนประกอบของสารสกัดที่ได้มาจากธรรมชาติมีทั้งยังวิตามินรวม ธาตุ เอนเหล้าองุ่นรวมทั้งเชลล์บรรเทา
    มีทั้งยังพลาสเซนต้ารวมทั้งคอลลาเจนโดนสารทั้งหมดจำเป็นต้องผ่านขั้นตอนจัดแจงสูตรยาแบบ(Homeopathy)
    เป็นศาสตร์การบำบัดที่มีต้นกำเนิดมาจาก สหพันธ์สาธารณรัฐเยอรมนี โดยกานศึกษาค้นพบของหมอ ซามุเอลฮาเนมัน แก่มากยิ่งกว่า 200
    ปีโดยมีวิธีการบำบัดรักษาว่า (ใช้สิ่งที่คล้ายคลึงกันมารักษาสิ่งที่คล้ายคลึงกัน) หรือการนำเอาสารที่เป็นต้นเหตุของอาการนั้นๆ


    มาเด้
    มาเด้ หน้าใส
    ฉีดมาเด้ ที่ไหนดี

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see your post. Read my post on my site visit my site

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a not very horrendous blog I was really gotten
    with the bit of reasons for interest you have here.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, this blog is great. It is really useful and easy to understand. Hope everyone get benefit.
    Thanks for sharing your Knowledge and experience with us
    Free Xbox Gift Cards

    ReplyDelete
  4. I especially liked how you provided links for further reading
    Redeem Google Play Gift Cards

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed reading the article above, really explains everything in detail,the article is very interesting and effective. Thank you and good luck for the upcoming articles.
    You can also find here 8 Proven Techniques to Improve Facebook Page Engagement Rate

    ReplyDelete